Friday, March 26, 2010

Creature Feature Preview


I organize a show every year called Creature Feature in Ellsworth at The Grand Theatre. This year is the third annual show, so it's called Creature Feature III. I'm excited to be working with four other talented artists on the show this year: Rebekah Raye of Blue Hill, Suzan Scribner-Reed of Winterport, Heidi Daub of Blue Hill, and Laura Balombini also of Blue Hill.

This year my work is looking a little different. I wanted to create pieces for the show that were inspired and based upon vintage graphics from the '60's and '70's. I have an inexplicable love for German memory games from that era and I based my Creature Feature images this year on graphics used in those. I will be previewing work by myself and the other artists here from time to time in the lead up to the show. The actual pieces will be hanging in the Grand Theatre lobby May 1-21, with a special sale of the work May 21st, 3-7pm. If you'd like to pre-purchase work I will have the pieces up on my website and you can purchase them there before the sale.

The piece above, Sleeping Fox, was based on a fox from a 1966-68 memory game. It was adapted from an image with a sitting fox. This piece has the vintage appeal of the original graphic but has my own composition and design. The media is Derwent Aquarelle Watercolor pencils on watercolor paper, which is a new medium for me.

I hope you will check back from time to time to get a glimpse of what will be in the Creature Feature III Show. By the way, 10% of the sales from the show will be donated to The Grand Theatre.

No comments: