Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Illustration Friday: Black & White

Here's my second drawing for Illustration Friday. This week the subject is "Black & White". This is a special little drawing for me, because it's of my dog Zeke. He was such a wonderful friend and companion for 14 years, and just passed away this last April.

"Zeke on the Lion & Tiger Rug, Under the Couch"

This rug was one of Zeke's favorite places to hang out. Here's a photo of him on the Lion and Tiger Rug, (a beautiful Tibetan rug I am fortunate to own)


Zeke was the inspiration behind alot of my animal artwork. The dog in this painting was based on him, as well as the one in this painting. Every year I used to do a Holiday Zeke card around Christmastime, too.

Well, I'm getting choked up. Better stop here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a gorgeous picture and your love for Zeke really comes through in his expression. Good use of textures and for me it recalls a bit James Thurber's classic dog cartoons (high praise!).

Anonymous said...

i am with ian t - i was also reminded of thurber's dogs. but this is even more special because of the meaning behind the illustration. i once lost my favorite dog in a tragic backyard accident and i teared up just seeing your pics and explanation. lovely lovely illustration.

Fern Lady said...

Thanks for your kind comments. I love James Thurber's cartoons and also his short stories...a very humorous guy, he was. And Allison, I'm sorry to hear you've gone though doggie loss, too. It's hard, but the upside is, we got to have them as our buddies for awhile, which is worth it in spades.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely drawing! I hate that it was a "remembrance" drawing but it sounds like you had a lot of good memories of Zeke. Oh, and I absolutely love your Fernhouse Studio site and offerings!

Fern Lady said...

Thanks, Pam, I'm so glad you like my site!

roz said...

I recently lost a cherished pet a few weeks ago and I know how you feel. It's so hard.
This is my first time visiting your blog, very cool work you have.

Andrea said...

Sorry to hear about Zeke...but nice to see you are carrying him with you still via your art. Thanks for stopping by my site and for calling me young Skywalker! You made my day. :) I love your site and will be putting you in my links!